Updates on Mclaren, Podium Base and GTS

Comments

• Andrew HakeAndrew Hake Member
    edited March 2018
    Can anyone confirm if the McLaren GT3 wheel will work with the CSL Elite PS4 base? I know the PS4 compatibility is in the base for PS4 not the wheel. So I imagine it will work as expected? I plan on using it in GT Sport and Assetto Corsa PC, but just thought I would ask. I already have pre-ordered one.

I would imagine this wheel will work in compatibility mode similar to the include CSL Elite PS4 wheel until PD comes out with full support for the base?
  • Frank LehmannFrank Lehmann Member
    edited March 2018
    Seems like the double clutch mechanism won't be "VR-compatible", because it will be necessary to watch the display on the wheel for choosing the optimal bite point. That's a real bummer.
    I was hoping for a pre-programmable function to set the clutch bite point (e.c. like the BrakeForce parameter on the wheel). It would be good, if this will be integrated into in a future firmware update.
  • Seems like the double clutch mechanism won't be "VR-compatible", because it will be necessary to watch the display on the wheel for choosing the optimal bite point. That's a real bummer.
    I was hoping for a pre-programmable function to set the clutch bite point (e.c. like the BrakeForce parameter on the wheel). It would be good, if this will be integrated into in a future firmware update.
    I'm sure it is programmable, I think that she was showing how to set it up.
  • Hello, 

Guys the wheel looks solid, for SIMRACING GIRL...... "chapeau" . The wait is almost over...
    ^:)^
  • Can anyone confirm if the McLaren GT3 wheel will work with the CSL Elite PS4 base? I know the PS4 compatibility is in the base for PS4 not the wheel. So I imagine it will work as expected? I plan on using it in GT Sport and Assetto Corsa PC, but just thought I would ask. I already have pre-ordered one.

I would imagine this wheel will work in compatibility mode similar to the include CSL Elite PS4 wheel until PD comes out with full support for the base?
    Andrew Hake, the wheel is fully compatible with the CSL ELITE PS4 base like it says in this page and like SRG confirm...... so you are  a luckiest guy since you will have the QR system for free!!!!!! Enjoy it...... 
  • Can anyone confirm if the McLaren GT3 wheel will work with the CSL Elite PS4 base? I know the PS4 compatibility is in the base for PS4 not the wheel. So I imagine it will work as expected? I plan on using it in GT Sport and Assetto Corsa PC, but just thought I would ask. I already have pre-ordered one.

My understanding is that both the base AND the rim need to support PS4 mode.

Lots of talk about xb1 compatbility and no mention of PS4.  I would NOT expect this rim to work with the PS4.
  • Maurice BöschenMaurice Böschen Member, CSL E RP1 PS4 beta tester, RMcL BT, CS SWFORM V2 Beta test, DD Beta Tester, PHub Beta Tester, P BME beta tester
    Can anyone confirm if the McLaren GT3 wheel will work with the CSL Elite PS4 base? I know the PS4 compatibility is in the base for PS4 not the wheel. So I imagine it will work as expected? I plan on using it in GT Sport and Assetto Corsa PC, but just thought I would ask. I already have pre-ordered one.

My understanding is that both the base AND the rim need to support PS4 mode.

Lots of talk about xb1 compatbility and no mention of PS4.  I would NOT expect this rim to work with the PS4.
    It is 100% compatible with the CSL Elite Racing Wheel PS4 Wheel Base.
    EVERY rim of the Fanatec Line-Up is PS4 compatible IF you use it with the CSL Elite PS4 Wheel Base because the PS4 security chip is build into the wheel base and not the rim so every rim is PS4 compatible with the CSL Elite PS4 base. (The BMW, Porsche and Formula Rims are also all PS4 compatible and they were made way before the CSL Elite PS4 Base btw^^)
  • Is that new video representative of how the dual clutch is going to work?

It didn't sound programable at all.  If that's true it seems like a serious oversight.
  • Any update regarding the GTS situation? Getting tired of waiting to be honest. Compatibility was announced for 2017. Not blaming Fanatec, but still very tiresome
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Guest, Member, Administrator, Moderator, Betatester, Beta tester 0x02CA--0x0001, RMcL BT, CS SWFORM V2 Beta test, DD Beta Tester
    Looks like we are getting much closer ;)
  • Looks like we are getting much closer ;)

haha yes....time will tell and anyway, the patient guys will get it someday sooner or later, the impatient too but just with more rant and anger.
  • edited March 2018
    Hmm, maybe I am missing something, but what was shown in the video is not how a dual clutch setup is supposed to work.

With a dual clutch, you dial in the bite point of your clutch (mine has a potentiometer for that). What this controls is where the clutch will be when only one lever is pulled. Basically, you set the potentiometer to full clutch range in the pits, pull the right clutch lever, and then turn the potentiometer until the clutch starts to bite. Now, at launch, you pull both levers, and release the left without having to think about hitting/missing the bite point, because as long as you have pulled the right fully, the clutch will stick exactly at bite point. After the first meter or so, you slowly release the right lever, which gives you a much longer and precise travel for the last part of the clutch process. You basically cannot miss the bite point. Can also easily be dialied in while in VR. 

The video makes it sound like the right lever has to be held at the bite point? Can't be right, to be honest. I guess the numbers on the display are only there so you then can input them somewhere in the current profile to define the bite point for the right lever?

• Sort of agree with above message. Would be nice to have the full info on how the dual clutch works.
    Also....does the rim have the vibration feature like the bmw and formula rims?   Anyone??... (sorry if I have missed this somewhere in previous pages). 
  • Maurice BöschenMaurice Böschen Member, CSL E RP1 PS4 beta tester, RMcL BT, CS SWFORM V2 Beta test, DD Beta Tester, PHub Beta Tester, P BME beta tester
    You can already find how the Dual Clutch Bite Point Mode works since a few weeks in the offcial QG: 

https://www.fanatec.com/download/CSL-E-RMcL-QG-EN.pdf

And no, this rim does not have motors inside as you can see in the webshop description (if it would have them then it would be stated there as a feature for sure)
  • Thanks Maurice,
    By the looks of mode C on the dual paddles, you don't even need a pedal set anymore..lol.
    Possible but unrealistic,
  • You can already find how the Dual Clutch Bite Point Mode works since a few weeks in the offcial QG: 

https://www.fanatec.com/download/CSL-E-RMcL-QG-EN.pdf

And no, this rim does not have motors inside as you can see in the webshop description (if it would have them then it would be stated there as a feature for sure)
    Damn that sucks, it seems like this system will be prone to false starts and won't be compatible with VR as you'll need a view of the display to monitor what you're doing.

What a bummer.
  • a steering wheel with illuminated buttons would be cool
  • Memorizing bite point will take a handful of practice starts then you’re vr ready. No racer uses visual aids beyond a shift light, or simple reference, otherwise it’s 100% tactile for everything else.
  • It would be nice if you could change the clutch percentage in the tuning menu for when the lever is fully depressed. Maybe that's something Fanatec would consider in an update if it's possible?

At any rate, I'm super excited for the McLaren rim it looks amazing and packed with inputs and features in the CSL price range!
  • Memorizing bite point will take a handful of practice starts then you’re vr ready. No racer uses visual aids beyond a shift light, or simple reference, otherwise it’s 100% tactile for everything else.
    Not exactly true.  Fuel Maps, Brake bias, and things like dual clutch setup use numbers.  You're expected to look and see what number you're setting something two when you play with those settings.

I already do a physical memorization of bite point with my foot.  The whole point of a dual clutch system is that you don't need to memorize it.  You set it up in practice, then when you go to start it's the same, dump left, slowly let out right.

I love Fanatec gear, but this is a bad implementation.
  • edited March 2018
    Wow, that's a bummer :/ Because that is - in no way - how dual clutch paddles should work. Why include them, of they don't work correctly?
    Then again, this seems like a rather easy fix for either a future firmware upgrade or maybe third party software (if there is an API to control the two levers differently).

A good solution would be if we could set the bite point percentage of the right lever in the wheel rim profile. Basically, you are making a test start in pits, memorize the number displayed on the rim, and input that into the profile. From then on, the right lever will never go over that percentage, or better, that is the new upper limit for the right lever. Allthough I fear this might take a lot of modification of the wheel rim software (introducing a new parameter) :/
    (edit: thinking about it, I guess this might even be impossible, because the wheel base doesn't see the two levers, I guess it only gets a single axis info from the rim, and the magic happens inside the rim)

I'm still looking forward to this rim, but with this dual clutch lever solution, it actually ain't a real aid and I fear it won't replace my modified F1 rim (with dual clutch levers...). That's a bit sad, because normally Fanatec nails these things rather perfectly, as far as I remember, at least.
  • no worries, maybe a misinterpretation of how a dual clutch system should work? (well see when it's out) 
    If accidentally wrong they can probably fix with a quick software update. 
  • Hope so.

That PDF seems to be quite clear, though...sadly :/
  • Looks like we are getting much closer ;)
    Much closer to what, the McLaren rim release or GTS support?
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Guest, Member, Administrator, Moderator, Betatester, Beta tester 0x02CA--0x0001, RMcL BT, CS SWFORM V2 Beta test, DD Beta Tester
    no worries, maybe a misinterpretation of how a dual clutch system should work? (well see when it's out) 
    There will be actually 2 different ways how to operate the clutch. The more advanced way to adjust the max value of the fully pulled paddle is not yet implemented but will be upgraded later with a firmware update.

• edited March 2018
    Very good to hear :) Looking forward to this mode! 

Keep up the good work!
  • Thomas Jackermeier said:There will be actually 2 different ways how to operate the clutch. The more advanced way to adjust the max value of the fully pulled paddle is not yet implemented but will be upgraded later with a firmware update.
    Good to hear!

• Counting the weeks now, been a long wait since Nov but nearly there now. Plus the free upgrade for the wait is fantastic.
  • no worries, maybe a misinterpretation of how a dual clutch system should work? (well see when it's out) 
    There will be actually 2 different ways how to operate the clutch. The more advanced way to adjust the max value of the fully pulled paddle is not yet implemented but will be upgraded later with a firmware update.

Would be nice if you could do a video about the dual clutch feature as it seems to be confusing exactly how they work. May increase sales from some of us who are sitting on the fence and this is a major buying feature.

If it works the same way as Asher racing clutch then I will buy.   This is how I was interpreting how they should work.